Welcome to The Shaun Tabatt Show! In this episode, I facilitate a roundtable discussion with Adam Barr, Ron Citlau and David Kyle Foster on LGBTQ issues in church, culture, and ministry.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save Link As”.
Here are the topics covered in this conversation.
- What’s the state of the culture and church on LGBTQ issues? What were some of the significant changes we saw in 2015?
- How does a Gospel-centered approach to sexual wholeness look different than an approach that simply focuses on behavior modification/moral improvement?
- What’s the connection between our biblical theology of sexuality and a pastoral approach to people who struggle?
- How can we move from viewing this discussion as a “culture war” issue to a real-world ministry challenge?
- How can we parent our children as they enter a world where gender identity and sexual orientation are approached in ways that fundamentally oppose our faith?
- In your opinion, what books have been a helpful contributor to the conversation? What books concern you? Why?
About Today’s Guests:
Adam T. Barr (MDiv, ThM) serves as lead pastor at Peace Church near Grand Rapids Michigan. In addition to his work in the local church, Adam launched and leads Borderlands, a ministry that fosters next generation leadership development and served on the board of RCA Integrity, a renwal movement in the Reformed Church in America. Adam lives with his wife, Jennifer, and four sons.
In his work as a writer, Adam travels the borderlands where faith and life intersect, attempting to help readers encounter Scripture as God’s Word, clear, compelling and alive.
Connect with Adam:
Ron Citlau graduated from the University of California, Riverside and Western Theological Seminary. He has served in ministry positions in Southern California and Kansas City. He is the pastor of Calvary Church in Orland Park, Illinois, part of the Reformed Church in America.
Ron struggled with same-sex attraction his whole life and has worked with and walked alongside many others who have struggled with sexual brokenness, as well as equipping pastoral leaders to serve those dealing with sexual sin. He also worked with Andrew Comiskey, producing curriculum on sexual healing now used by Desert Stream Ministries in hundreds of churches throughout the country. When he isn’t working, he loves to be with his wife, Amy, and their four boys: Jack, Sawyer, Eli, and Crosby.
Connect with Ron:
David Kyle Foster, founder of Mastering Life Ministries, holds an M.Div. from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and a D.Min. from Trinity School for Ministry. He also hosts Pure Passion, a televised outreach equipping believers to minister to those trapped in sexual sin and brokenness.
Connect with David:
Explore Additional Resources:
Here are some of the resources mentioned in this episode:
These are the books the guests recommended:
These are the books some of the guests had concerns about:
Subscribe to the Podcast:
- Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes
- Click Here to Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)
- Click Here to Subscribe via Stitcher Radio
- Click Here to Subscribe via Player FM
- Click Here to Subscribe via TuneIn
- Click Here to Subscribe via Google Play
Share the Love:
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show.