Welcome to The Shaun Tabatt Show! Today my special guest is Justin Holcomb and we’re talking about his book God Made All of Me: A Book to Help Children Protect Their Bodies (New Growth Press, 2015).
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save Link As”.
About The Book:
God Made Every Part of You!
It’s easy to convey the message to children that their bodies or particular parts of their bodies are shameful. This misconception fuels confusion, embarrassment, and secrecy, and often prevents children from recognizing or reporting sexual abuse.
God Made All of Me is a simply-told, beautifully-illustrated story to help families talk about these sensitive issues with two- to eight-year-old children. Because the private parts of our bodies are private, the home is the ideal environment where a child should learn about his or her body and how it should be treated by others.
God Made All of Me starts from the fundamental truth that God created everything and applies that truth to kids and their bodies. It equips parents to talk with both boys and girls about their bodies and to help them understand the difference between the appropriate and inappropriate touch of others. God Made All of Me allows families to build a first line of defense against sexual abuse in the safety of their own homes.
God Made All of Me is the first children’s book written by Rid of My Disgrace authors Justin and Lindsey Holcomb. Parents of young children themselves, the Holcombs regularly counsel victims of sexual abuse and are profoundly aware of the dangers kids face. Their simple and relatable story, designed to help children protect their bodies, will be an important resource for every family with young children.
- Simple, relatable story for two- to eight-year-old children, designed to help them protect their bodies.
- Includes colorful, age-appropriate illustrations.
- Conveys a clear message that God made every part of the human body and that every part is, therefore, good (the doctrine of creation.
- Gently opens the conversation about sexual abuse that every family needs to have.
- Facilitates open conversations about appropriate and inappropriate touch.
- Overcomes confusion, secrecy, and embarrassment about bodies with truth.
About The Author:
Justin Holcomb, PhD, is an Episcopal priest and professor of theology and Christian thought at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Reformed Theological Seminary. He is the author of On the Grace of God, Know the Heretics, and Know the Creeds and Councils, as well as the coauthor of Is It My Fault? and Rid of My Disgrace. He also serves on the boards for REST (Real Escape from the Sex Trade) and GRACE (Godly Response to Abuse in Christian Environments).
Connect with Justin:
Join the Conversation:
Half the fun of doing these podcasts is the conversation that happens around them. With each episode, I’ll be asking a new questions. Here’s my question for episode 26:
Question: If you’re a parent, how do you think God Made All of Me will be helpful to you as you have these important discussions with your children?
Share your answer on Facebook and Twitter.
Explore Additional Resources:
Here are some of the resources mentioned in this episode:
- REST (Real Escape from the Sex Trade)
- GRACE (Godly Response to Abuse in Christian Environments)
- New Growth Press
Author Talks Episode 119 – Know the Heretics, Know the Creeds & Councils
Author Talks Episode 53 – On the Grace of God
Subscribe to the Podcast:
- Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes
- Click Here to Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)
- Click Here to Subscribe via Stitcher Radio
- Click Here to Subscribe via Player FM
- Click Here to Subscribe via TuneIn
- Click Here to Subscribe via Google Play
Share the Love:
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show.